Dr. Dunn is a nationally recognized sub-specialist upper extremity and nerve surgeon, who is an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Uniformed Services University and a Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Dr. Dunn graduated with a degree in Molecular Biology from Colgate University. While at Colgate, Dr. Dunn was named a Lowe’s All American in Division I NCAA athletics. Dr. Dunn then earned his medical degree at Michigan State. He completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at William Beaumont Army Medical Center where he was named the chief resident, researcher of the year, and distinguished resident of the year. Dr. Dunn then completed a hand and microvascular surgery fellowship at the prestigious Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. In 2018 Dr. Dunn was bestowed the Mazurek Award – which is given to the top orthopaedic surgeon scholar in the United States Military. Dr. Dunn also served as chief of orthopaedics in Operation Inherent Resolve in Baghdad, Iraq.
Dr. Dunn has written over 160 scientific articles and specializes in the treatment of problems affecting the musculoskeletal and peripheral nervous system like carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, fractures of the fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, and elbow and utilization of advanced arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgical techniques when possible. Dr. Dunn also is an expert on the use of cutting edge techniques and stem cell therapies.
Professionally, Dr. Dunn is actively involved in the governance of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and formerly with the Society Of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Dunn has also served as the Chief of the Department of Clinical Investigations at William Beaumont Army Medical Center and director of research for the Texas Tech and WBAMC orthopaedic surgery residency programs, which have won a number of national awards for research.
“My research has been focused on new therapies and treatments like Platelet-Rich Plasma and minimally invasive surgical techniques to treat complicated upper extremity conditions and injuries. I am excited to offer these modalities and surgical care to my adopted hometowns of El Paso and Las Cruces.”
Dr. Dunn lives in El Paso with his wife, Christina Dunn, MD, and their 6 children. He enjoys playing hockey, coaching youth sports, and is a member of the Knights of Columbus of Immaculate Conception.
Fellowship: Hand, Upper Extremity, and Microvascular Surgery – Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland
- 7/2012 – 7/2017
Internship and Residency: William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, Texas
Michigan State – Grand Rapids, MI
BA – Molecular Biology
Colgate University – Hamilton, NY
- Colgate – "All Patriot League and team Captain – Lacrosse" - 2007
- Lowes Senior Class Award – 2007
- United States Military Mazurek Award, 2018
- Awarded to top young orthopaedic surgeon-scholar in the US Military
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center Staff Researcher of the Year, 2019.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Nominee for USBJI Young Investigators Workshop, January 2018.
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons Top Orthopaedic Research Program, Department of Defense, 2019, 2020, 2021
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center Distinguished Resident of the Year, 2017.
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center Resident Reacher of the Year, 2017.
- Inaugural Society Of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons Jamie Bulken-Hoover Hand Research Award
- Top upper extremity research paper at SOMOS Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Blue Ribbon Award, from the journal “Orthopaedics” for best article, Spring 2016
- Riordan Hand Scholarship. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2014.
- Colonel Ernst Dehne Award. 2015.
- Top research project William Beaumont Army Medical Center/TTUHSC Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Texas Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, 3rd place: Podium Presentation, 2014
- Texas Tech University Medical Center Research, 3rd place: Podium Presentation, 2013
- NCAA Division I Lowes All-American, Second Team, 2007
- All Patriot League, Second Team, 2007
- Army Commendation Medal, 2019
- Army Commendation Medal, 2017
- Army Achievement Award, 2016
- Army Achievement Award, 2015
- Army Achievement Award, 2013
- 3/1/2019 – present
Associate Director, Clinical and Experimental Orthopaedics
Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD
- 8/1/2018 – present
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso, Texas
- 8/1/2018 – present
Director of Research, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, William Beaumont Army Medical Center and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso, Texas
- 9/18/2017 – present
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Uniformed Health Sciences University, Bethesda, Maryland
- Director of Orthopaedic Surgery Research, department of orthopaedic surgery, William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Peer review editorial
- Journal of the Hand Surgery. 2019 – on going.
- Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2016 – on going
- American Journal of Orthopaedics. 2014 – 2018
- International Orthopaedics. 2014-ongoing
- Orthopaedic Surgery. 2015 – ongoing
- HAND. 2015 - ongoing
- Military Medicine. 2015 – ongoing
- Pediatric Quality and Safety. 2019 - ongoing
- Administrative Chief Resident, William Beaumont Army Medical Center. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2016-2017.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Resident Assembly, 2015-2017
- Resident Delegate, William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Research Subcommittee
2016-2017 Chief Resident
William Beaumont Army Medical Center Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fort Bliss, TX
Walter Reed Army Medical Center/Union Memorial Curtis National Hand Center, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Bethesda, MD
2018 – Attending orthopaedic and hand surgeon at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Fort Bliss, TX
- Program Co-Chair, Annual Meeting
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2021
- Board of Directors
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Editorial Board
- Member, Research Management Committee.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2019 -
- Member, Coding and Reimbursement Committee
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2021 -
- Young Leader Forum.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2019.
- Primary Member and Designated Expediated Review Official
- United States Army Regional Health Command – Central Institutional Review Board. 2019 -
- Clinical Scholar Development Program.
- Orthopaedic Research Society. 2019.
- This course focuses on grant writing, program development, and leadership skills. I was granted this opportunity by winning the 2018 Mazurek Award for the best orthopaedic clinical scholar in the United States Military
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Resident Assembly
- Resident Delegate, William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Research Subcommittee. 2014-2016
- American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- Resident Advisory Board. 2014.
Deployment: Operation Inherent Resolve, 2018-2019
- 10th Combat Support Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq
- Chief, Orthopaedic and Hand Surgery – Operation Inherent Resolve
- Task Force Med 10
- Iraq, Syria, and Jordan
William Beaumont Army Medical Center 2018 –
- Orthopaedic and hand surgeon
- Director of Orthopaedic Surgery Research
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center 2017-2018
- Hand Fellow
- Promoted to Major: 5/12/2018
William Beaumont Army Medical Center 2012-2017
- Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
- Date of Rank: 5/12/2012
Michigan State University 2008-2012
- HPSP medical student
- Commissioned: 8/8/2008
- Dunn JC, Tintle S. Free functional muscle transfer. The Mangled Extremity: Evaluation and Management. Silver Spring, MD. 2019.
- Dunn JC, Segalman K. Total Wrist Fusion. Hand Surgery: Tricks of the Trade. Thieme. New York. 2018
- Tintle SM, Dunn JC, Nanos G. Soft Tissue Reconstruction. Skeletal Trauma. 5th Saunders. New York. 2019
- Waterman BR, Dunn J, Orr JD. Conditions of the Lower Leg, Ankle, and Foot. In: Musculoskeletal Injuries in the Military. Springer Science. New York. 2015
- Dunn JC, Waterman BR. Injuries to the Foot, Ankle, and Lower Leg. In: Musculoskeletal Injuries in the Military. 2013.
- Rolf R, Dunn JC, Higgins LD, Warner JP. Limited Shoulder Prosthetic Resurfacing. Biologic Joint Reconstruction: An Alternative to Arthroplasty. 2009. Chapter 29.
- Sperling JW, Galatz LM, Higgins LD, Levine WN, Ramsey ML, Dunn JC. Complications in Shoulder Arthroplasty: Avoidance and Management. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Instructional Course Lectures. Volume 58. 2009. Chapter 42.
- Pirela-Cruz MA, Dunn JC, McCriskin B, Kanlic E. Necrotizing Fasciitis of the Upper Extremity. Orthopaedic Knowledge Journal Online. 2014.12(9):1.